The body’s endocrine system is complex. There are a number of components, and a number of ways each one might fail to work as expected. For example, you might not produce enough of one hormone, or too much of another; your body may produce the right amount of a hormone, but not know where to send it. Understanding this system and its variables, and knowing how to counteract or prevent these issues arising is the job of the endocrinologist.
London Medical are pleased to have a team of passionate, dedicated, and expert endocrinologists, each striving to develop the field, and provide patients with the highest levels of care and service.
Paediatric & Adolescent Endocrinology
Our centre also provides continuity of endocrine care, supporting patients from infancy to young adulthood. This continuity of treatment facilitates age appropriate care and smooth transition for those patients with chronic conditions. All tests available in the centre are carried out in an age appropriate setting.
How we can help
Pediatric and adolescent services
- Disorders of growth and puberty, including tall and short stature, and disorders of weight and menstrual rhythm
- Disorders of sexual differentiation
- Turner’s syndrome and other short stature skeletal dysplasias
- Adrenal disorders
- Thyroid disease including congenital hypothyroidism
- Neuroendocrine and pituitary related tumours
- Endocrine effects of chronic disease and patients on steroids
- Late effects of childhood cancer therapies
- Assessment of reproductive capacity
- Reduced bone mineralisation
- erectile dysfunction and hypogonadism
- Turner’s syndrome
- adrenal disorders (such as Addison’s disease and Cushing’s syndrome)
- reproductive and infertility problems
- high prolactin
- all thyroid and parathyroid disorders.
- Thyroid ultrasound and thyroid fine needle aspiration biopsy of thyroid nodule
- Insulin stress testing
- Glucagon stimulation test
- Dexamethasone suppression tests
- Thyroid function tests
- Pituitary releasing hormone tests
- Synacthen stimulation test
- Impotence profile
- Menopause profile
- Reproductive endocrinology, including ovulation induction
- Osteoporosis markers and bone density
- Day curves of different hormones
- Water deprivation test
We treat a huge number of hormonal conditions - such as:
- manifestations of the polycystic ovarian syndrome
- the management and assessment of thyroid nodules
- the menopause
- growth disorders
Dr Nigel Oakley
Dr Oakley became a Nuffield fellow in Pittsburgh, before returning to the Middlesex Hospital where he was appointed deputy director of the Metabolic Unit at St. Mary's.
Ms Melanie Davies
Ms Melanie Davies works as Consultant Obstetrician and Gynaecologist, at the University College London Hospitals. She also owns the Centre for Reproductive and Genetic Health.
Professor Maralyn Druce
Professor Druce trained at Christ's College, and UCLSM. She then completed her higher medical training in Diabetes, Endocrinology, and GI Medicine at the Hammersmith and Barts Hospitals.
Dr Dipesh Patel
Dr Patel is a consultant physician in diabetes and endocrinology. His clinical practice includes general endocrinology, and diabetes management. He is also undergraduate site lead teacher.
Professor Andrea Frilling
Professor Frilling specialises in general surgery. She focuses on Endocrinology, endocrine surgery, Hepato-pancreato-biliary surgery, and oncologic abdominal surgery.
Dr Helen Spoudeas
Dr Spoudeas is part of an innovative team of six endocrine consultants, supporting patients with endocrine disease in a seamless service across Great Ormond Street and UCL Hospitals.
Dr Rakesh Amin
Rakesh is educational lead for endocrinology and diabetes at Great Ormond Street Hospital. He started as a consultant and senior lecturer at GOSH and ICH in 2012.
Dr Harvinder Chahal
Dr Chahal is a consultant in Endocrinology, Diabetes, Bariatric Medicine and GI Medicine at Imperial College Trust. He's also Honorary Clinical Senior Lecturer at Imperial College.
Dr David Levy
Dr Levy has written several books on diabetes, most recently 'Type 1 diabetes', and 'Practical Diabetes Care, 3rd edition'. He is currently writing an e-book for Type 2 diabetes patients.
Dr Ralph Abraham
Ralph has a lifetime's clinical experience, and has treated patients all over the globe. He is a renowned diabetes specialist, and founded London Medical in 1991.