Thyroid Nodules and Goitres
An enlarged thyroid gland in the neck is a goitre. Thyroid swellings may be composed of multiple nodules, or enlargement of the whole gland. Although thyroid nodules are mostly benign, thyroid cancer will be present in 5-10% of these nodules.
At London Medical we run a one-stop endocrine consultant assessment, with on-site immediate ultrasound of the thyroid and thyroid fine needle biopsy if indicated (following the National Guidelines for the diagnosis and management of thyroid cancer). Most patients will not need thyroid surgery for benign nodules. When necessary, however, thyroid surgery can be arranged with an experienced thyroid surgeon. This thyroid one-stop service is provided by the specialist consultant, Dr Malcolm Prentice with a national reputation with over 25 years’ experience of thyroid biopsy, with an over 95% success rate..
How we can help
Some typical approaches to care:
- Hypothyroidism: Common symptoms of hypothyroidism include sensitivity to cold temperatures, mild weight gain, fatigue, constipation, small thyroid gland, enlarged neck, dry skin, hair loss, muscle cramps, heavy and irregular menstruation, and difficulty thinking or concentrating. Less common symptoms main include facial swelling and joint stiffness. As well as these symptoms, an underactive gland can adversely affect fertility and pregnancy and could affect the IQ of the child.
- Test for thyroid disease in pregnancy
- Test for familial thyroid disease and related conditions.
- Thyroid ultrasound and thyroid fine needle aspiration biopsy (FNA), available on the same day as the initial consultation
- Thyroid cancer diagnosis and management
- Hyperthyroidism: Common symptoms of hyperthyroidism include sudden and unexplained weight loss, increased or irregular heartbeat, nervousness, irritability, tremors (especially in the hands), increased sweating, abnormal menstruation, increased sensitivity to warmth, more frequent bowel movements, enlarged thyroid gland (goitre), fatigue, difficulty sleeping, and muscle weakness. Some patients also experience Thyroid Eye Disease; we have specialist eye surgeons who jointly manage this condition.
Thyroid disease Consultants
Dr Malcolm Prentice
Dr Prentice co-wrote the National Guidelines for the Management of Differentiated Thyroid Cancer, and the National Training Course for Thyroid Ultrasound and Biopsy with the Royal College of Radiologists.